Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 197 - My soapbox

Well today was better compliance wise, but I didn't get in my workout because I had to pick up my nephew from school unplanned (he got in trouble) so it messed up my schedule. But the meals were go so at least I am back on that part. I appreciate all the input about doing better on the weekends, it looks like it is a common issue amongst the shredders. I just fall into that trap way too easily and I need to plan for things a lot better. But I am getting a lot of things in my life in order these days so I feel confident that I will come around eventually. Even if it is not for this mission in particular, it is still a growing process for me so every day I learn something new to apply to future missions. Life is always happening. I want to get to bed early tonight but I did have something that has been on my mind since Friday that I wanted to get your guys opinion/comments on as well.
What happened was that I went out to lunch with one of my best friends and she was talking about all of the problems she has been having with her weight. She hurt her back some time ago and has been on disability from work for probably a year now and had steadily gained weight in that time period. Then she quit smoking and gained another 30 lbs on top of that so she was at about 220 at her highest. She is about my height so her ideal weight is probably somewhere around 140-150. Anyway, she has, in her words "tried everything" to lose this weight and is now under some kind of doctor's care. This "doctor" has her on some kind of pill to lose weight and told her that she doesn't need to change her eating habits at all, just take this pill and she will lose weight. He gave her a general eating plan to compare with how she is eating now and it was mostly comprised of carbs. He said something like "have 2.5 cups of cereal in the morning" - any kind of cereal. I don't know what kind of doctor he is but it sounded like such a bunch of crap to me - what kind of plan is this? She is excited because she lost 8 pounds in the first few days but I told her that would have happened no matter what she did because when you change anything you usually lose water weight, plus she started walking 3 miles a day so that alone could have done it. I was so shocked at what this guy was telling her to do and she wouldn't listen to a thing I tried to tell her about this group of shredders, the info we have available, the results we have shown, my own weight loss, etc etc. Wouldn't hear of it. Swore she had tried everything. Even Hydroxycut. Yikes! So my question I guess is, have any of you come across someone like this in your lives? Someone who you care a lot about and want to share this information we have learned with who won't take your advice? Who prefers to do some dangerous magic bullet type thing instead of trying for long term loss? She is getting married in a few months and is desperate, but I feel like there will always be something coming up that she will want to continue taking this pill for and she will never learn actual good eating habits. My heart breaks for her. At least she is over the hurdle of wanting to change, which is a big one for some, but she's doing these horrible things to her body that I feel will make it harder for her to lose real weight in the long run. She swears by this pill because a friend of hers took it and lost weight. But yet she won't listen to the way that I lost weight? Actually it kind of hurt my feelings but there was not talking to her about it. I dropped the subject eventually because it was just killing me. Anyway, thoughts? I just get so frustrated sometimes because it's either a scenario like this one or someone does ask me what I am doing/have done to lose this weight, I tell them, and they look at me like I have 2 heads or something. Like it's not obvious that this is the safest and most natural way to lose weight. Umm, eat the right foods, lift weights, cardio. This is not new, but people act like it's some crazy plan. I have no idea, it just gets so sad because I want to help people and they are just not listening. How can we get through to people that fads don't work? Or else they are just a different way of packaging the same things that you should have been doing all along. Take this P90X thing. Now, I'm not bashing it, I don't even know that much about it, but it seems to be the newest all the rage thing these days, I keep hearing about it. Don't know how long it's been around, but I have had my brother in law on a, I think, great program for the last month that he has said over and over that he likes the challenge, etc, and seems to be getting results from. But yet his friend bought P90X and all of a sudden he's jumping on the bandwagon, wanting to do that instead of what he has been doing. I mean, nothing was wrong, but it's just the shiny-newness I guess that intrigues him. I hope it does work for him but I bet it's much of the same that he has been doing already, just better marketed. I am guilty of that sometimes as well, or at least I used to be, until I realized that I was not giving programs sufficient time to even show results before I was on to the next thing, and I never really knew what worked and what didn't. Sure, you should change up to keep your body guessing, but to just overhaul everything without having good/bad results to back up your choices is just setting yourself up for failure. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting too into my soapbox tonight, but that seems to all be related in my book. Just stick with what works. The tried and true methods, because if there was a real magic bullet, the nation would not be as obese as it is now. It comes down to hard work. Some may see this as a bad thing, but I think I've said this before: nothing worth having is ever easy. You'd never appreciate it anyway. So be thankful for your hard-fought progress, how ever much it is, because you my fellow shredders have done it the right way. And you will reap the benefits from that for a long time to come. Congratulations on not falling prey to the hype - you know what it is really all about. And you are living it every day, as best as you can, and in your own unique way. Shred on!
***********
Update: Here are my latest measurements
Weight: 146 lbs (loss of 1# this week, loss of 3# in BBS)
Omron bf: 23.4% (loss of 1% this week, loss of 1.2% in BBS)
Bicep: 11" (loss of .25" this week & in BBS)
Chest: 34.5" (no change this week, loss of .5" in BBS)
Waist: 27.75" (loss of .25" this week & in BBS)
Stomach: 31" (no change)
Hips: 37" (no change)
Butt: 40.25" (loss of .25" this week & in BBS)
Thigh: 24.25" (loss of .25" this week & in BBS)
Total: loss of 1.25" this week, loss of 1.75" in BBS
Okay so I don't know what is going on - I have what I feel like is a horrible weekend compliance and I lose inches for the first time since the beginning of the BBS!? I guess it's just the cumulative work from the past 4 weeks catching up to me or something...I still need to do way better though!

















DAY 29 OF 56NOTES:POINTS:
Meal #1?6a - protein shake
1
Meal #2?10a - omlete
1
Meal #3?12p - shrimp pasta
1
Meal #4?3p - salad
1
Meal #5?6p - chicken, broccoli
1
Meal #6?9p - cottage cheese, strawberries


1
Water?96 oz - 16 oz/meal
1
Weights or Rest?rest
1
Cardio or Rest?skipped


0
Sleep?7-8 hrs1
Accountability?pics, blog, chart
1
Visualization?1 hr AVP
1



Daily Score:11 of 12




Cumulative:303 of 348




Compliance:87.1%




5 comments:

Mike Groom said...

Wow that was a biggy! I think I lost about 2 kilos while reading it! :) You raise some great points though.

Shred Hard!

KaliLilla.com said...

Oh man I'm jealous! My numbers won't budge to save my life.

Good job on the stats, Joni!

Anonymous said...

It is so hard when you want to help someone and they think they have the right answer(s). my husband comes to mind! YOu know what they are doing isn't the "right" thing and they think otherwise. I don't really don't think there is a way to change their mind. They really have to come to the realization themselves. that is what's frustrating. You did your part and can only hope they will listen or see for themselves based on your results. Sometimes God is the only one who can "change" someone or help them see "the light". I get asked alot about what I have done to lose my weight...people just can't believe it is as "simple" as eating right and exercising...but it is really so much more though..but one as to see this for oneself. people give all kinds of "reasons" why it won't work for them or they have tried "that". I think the problem is that they are not truly ready for a change.

ok. so that was my long answer to your question. lol

keep doing what you are doing. you will show people by your own example. SOS!!

Joni said...

Mike - yeah, I got a little long-winded, sorry...I thought I would make up for my lack of interesting blog material lately :)
Lilla - I almost feel guilty because I don't really feel like I deserve for the numbers to go down but I'm not gonna argue...
Suzette - thanks for your insight into this question. I did think of your husband when I was writing it and I agree with you about the willingness/readiness to change being a big factor. And not just "wanting to lose weight" but actually seeing a need for lifestyle changes. That's the difference - most people say that want to lose weight, but only if they don't have to change anything in the process...

Anonymous said...

I found your comments today very interesting. I've been in the same position with friends and relatives who want to lose weight asking me what I'm doing. But after it happens a few times you start to realize that they really don't want to hear the answer, not when it means it's going to take hard work. I got so that I just jokingly say "clean living and self denial" and let it go at that unless they push me and sound as though they really want to know. I'm not trying to hide anything and I would love to share, but I even have a friend who wanted more detail and bought and read BFFM, but still decided not to do it. If people are looking for a quick fix this isn't going to work for them and until they figure it out I guess you can't really help much. You can just do what you are doing for yourself and be available to share it if and when they are interested.

You're pictures are showing great results. Keep it up!