Sunday, November 4, 2007

REWIND - Day 20 - Coming home!

Saturday, 11/3/07 - Day 10 of MS, 9 of shred

This day was just HIIT so that was pretty easy to get done, although 6am came even earlier this day. And it was pretty chilly outside but I had to exercise out on the balcony because there were 6 other people in the condo who were sleeping. Again I followed the same procedure as I had done for the other days as far as my food intake went, until lunch. We got on the road about 3:30pm and I was very tired but felt good about the trip. Then things kind of went downhill. Only a little, but what happened was the other people in the car were hungry pretty soon after we left and I wasn't yet so they went to Arbys and I didn't eat anything. So of course when it came to dinner time I was hungry before any of them. I felt bad about asking to stop just for me, so we went to the closest thing to save on time and it ended up being a KFC. Fried chicken again. Again I took off the skin but I did have potato wedges which I know were in no way on my plan but I was honestly just trying not to be a pain in the butt to everyone and I was hungry for some carbs. I felt guilty about that for a while but then I said, you know, what's done is done and I made that choice with no one twisting my arm so I'll make up for it. It was so much better than the downward spiral of the past. I got home about 1am but it was daylight savings time so I had an extra hour of sleep to make up for that. Business trip finished. I could have done better overall but compared to usually feeling like I gained five pounds when I come back from one of those trips I was doing pretty well. I still worked out and took my vitamins, the waking up early thing was a big win, and I ate really as well as could be expected for this being my first go-round with MS. It's like Adam was saying about progressive discipline. I'm sure the next time I am faced with similar circumstances I will be able to make even better decisions and they won't be as hard. Also, with this experience behind me I can prepare better for the next one too. So no guilt, just learning, growing, and moving on and up!
On the road pic #2 (better):

5 comments:

Michael said...

Welcome back! Glad you are safe and sound. Your pics are showing some major differences...way to go!

Mike

Anonymous said...

again, great job..and noticed a "bigger" smile in your pics. you overcame a lot of obstacles this weekend trip. you should be proud of yourself for doing so well. and for not beating yourself down for one or two little setbacks...you came out stronger and better than before! just as mentioned in michael's blog...celebrate those "small" victories...or as in Christy's blog, celebrate those "small steps". each one counts towards the bigger picture!

Joni said...

Michael - Thanks, I am getting really excited to see what the next few weeks will bring!

Suzetter - As usual, you are still keeping track of me. Thanks again and I know exactly what you mean - getting excited about the little steps forward and letting go of the little steps back. We are all on our way!
-JP

Otter Christy said...

Joni, your travel blogs are very inspirational to me. It would be easy to not write about KFC or the potato wedges. Just omit it and pretend like everything is perfect, but writing about it and as they say, "keeping it real," is SO MUCH BETTER.

I showed my sister (via iChat) Adam's blog, and she was kind of intrigued. The first thing she said. Ooh. I look a lot like Joni, and she's doing so great in such a short time. She clicked and started looking at YOUR BLOG.

She's doing Weight Watchers, but she was sure interested in YOUR PROGRESS.

And writing about how you are making choices and adapting and learning and growing, that's stuff I think many people (like me and my sister) can relate to on ANY plan.

Great stuff!

Joni said...

Christy -
ha ha ha I call it "the potato wedge philosophy" - actually I just made that up, but I believe that if people are going to be watching your progress you have to answer to everything that goes on during your journey and if you don't talk about the setbacks you lose your credibility. I definately don't want to do that. For me, I think people need to know that you can have weak moments and then just get right back into it and not lose your momentum or hurt your progress. Like your sister - so glad to hear that she was interested - I wouldn't want to be acting like it was all easy when someone is looking in from the outside. I hope she does well in her journey!
-JP