Monday, November 5, 2007

Day 21 - Getting back in the groove

Well yesterday was day 11 of MS, 10 of the shred, and it was kind of strange. I didn't set my alarm becuase I wanted to catch up on some sleep but I still woke up at 8am and I felt pretty good so I just got up. For some reason I thought that it was a rest day so I plan to exercise right away, and just did some computer work, etc until Jeff got up so I could see what his plans were for the day. He wanted waffles and bacon for breakfast so I made that and ate a waffle with one piece of bacon. I'm not real sure what I was thinking at this point, obviously not really thinking at all, I was just concerned with spending some time at home with him after being away and I guess I was just tired of eggs but in reality it wasn't that bad, only 5g of fat or so. But I just totally blanked or something, it was strange. Anyway, I went to church and when I got home figured I would check my MS notes to see what I had coming up and then realized that I was supposed to do both HIIT and supersets. Oops. So I decided I would do it later on in the day, mid afternoon or something. I had turkey chili and pineapple for lunch and then spent some time updating this blog and so forth. Around 3 Jeff asked me if I was going to spend some time with him watching football so I stopped typing and went to watch the games. The Colts played - and lost :), don't even get me started - at 4 so by the time that game was over I had eaten anther bowl of chili and some more pineapple for dinner and it was around 7:30. Then I realized that I had to do some business calls so I got my contacts together and did that until 9. So here it is, 9pm and I still had not done my workout. I was beginning to worry because I felt like I had really messed up with the potato wedges the night before and the food today, and now I had not exercised, letting all kinds of negative thoughts go through my head. So I just finally turned that voice in my head off and said, hey, I have to get my workout in and I can make up for the other things in the next round. No need to mess up further. So at 9:30 or so there I was, in the basement, doing my workout. I was so so so glad I did it, although somehow I hurt my neck - have no idea how that happened. But I did all the weight I was supposed to do and the HIIT. I will say that the supersets were pretty tough heart rate wise. What I mean is, I felt like I was doing cardio more so than with any of the other types of training and I was just lifting weights. I guess it was a combination of the fact that it was the end of the day so I didn't have a full tank anyway, plus the supersets were one right after another, making it be more like cardio. So when it came time for the HIIT, that was really pushing myself, but I got it done and felt much better. Exercise makes such a difference. And when I really think about it, the food wasn't really bad because like I said the waffle was only about 5g of fat, and the chili was homemade turkey with beans and veggies so it really didn't have much fat at all. I guess I felt worse about the carb content than anything but I was still under in fat and calories so not that big of a deal I think. I really can make things bigger in my head than they are for real. It is not good. I guess we all do that. Anyway, results are in my next post for this morning so I'll get on to that....
Here's the pics from today:


2 comments:

Otter Christy said...

A belated welcome back! I dig this post. It's so easy to beat oneself up over a waffle or something, but to talk it out and move on and do the workout that is, as they say, where the winning is done.

I've missed out on some of your posts so I'm reading them all right now.

Joni said...

Christy-
Thanks for all your comments! This blog is really keeping me disciplined and I appreciate having others checking up on me. I think I am doing better every day on not being so hard on myself. It's all part of the journey.
-JP