Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Day 30!! - Can it be?

I can't believe it's been 30 days since I started this blog. Time flies when you are having fun, as the saying goes. And overall, it really has been fun. I enjoy it much more knowing that others are seeing it as opposed to the first few days when no one was out there and I was talking to myself! So happy one-month anniversary to me!
Today started out...interesting. When I got up I was so focused on getting to my workout (I missed it after all!) I forgot to have my protein shake, which, after the all fruit day, is VERY necessary. I learned this the hard way during my first set of muscle rounds when I tried to do lunges and nearly passed out after the only the first two sets. And I mean the mini-sets, so 8 reps per leg and I was TOAST! Light headed, dizzy, nauseous, weak, all of it. AAAAHHHHH. So I pushed through (with much longer rest times than listed but I just literally couldn't go any quicker) and did half of the workout. I was supposed to do 3 rounds of quads and I did 1-1/2, then I was supposed to do 2 each of hams and calves and I did 1. It was all I could do to just get through that much, but because I had already started my workout, I couldn't go up and eat something and then exercise later because I didn't have the time. And I really wanted to get a good workout in after skipping those other days. So I guess it was probably a combination of not working out for 4 days and what I will now dub "Fruit Day Hangover". It sucked big time. I was really disappointed because the muscles weren't exhausted, it was my whole body, if that makes sense. I know it will to all of you. So Note to Self: Remember the protein first thing!! I'm sure I won't forget again after that experience. But I think I still got a halfway decent workout because now, 16 hrs later, I am feeling a little soreness in the legs so I must have gotten some muscle breakdown. Good deal.
The rest of the day was uneventful, on low fat so I that is always the easiest part of this program for me because I already pretty much do eat low fat as long as I cook for myself and don't eat out all the time. I get myself into trouble when I am lazy. Between that, emotional eating, eating past full, or just plain eating when I am not hungry is what got me to where I was in the first place. Not really the type of food itself, just the quantity and timing. So when I concentrate on it, these days are not that tough at all because I like most healthy food and I do already have whole grains, vegetables, and lean protein on hand.
So that's the story of today. I'll post my pics tomorrow because it is getting late but I do also want to just throw out there that due to popular demand (okay, like 2 people, but still) I am going to be doing a series of posts specifically on MS and my experiences with it as a female. I want to be careful not to tread on Nick's territory as he deserves every dollar he earns on that e-book because it is really a great program, but I think a little more info should be out there specifically regarding the "woman's perspective", without giving too much away. I also do not want to appear in any way as an expert on the subject. Although fitness is a long time interest of mine, this will only be my opinions and should not be substituted for medical or professional advice of any kind, of course. Okay, disclaimer over, I'll talk to you all soon!
Today's pics:


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Also remember that this day should be the loading day, of PROTEIN, GLUTAMINE and CREATINE. You told me before that you don't want to take creatine or glutamine, I don't see why, but at least do the protein loading, one shake every 2 hours, just for this day.
James

Adam Waters said...

Great idea Joni about MS from women's perspective, I think you are onto something there!

Shred on!
Adam

Anonymous said...

a women's persective of MS would be great. I know Kristiina knows a lot about it as she has been doing it for over 130 days! could get her take on it! I have only gotten thru 21 days on MS but know it will work for us women. and of course you are showing it works even in such a short amount of time also. i think one of the biggest fears for a lot of women is the fear of getting "big" muscles. bounce some more ideas around. maybe doing something in video format...would love to know what you come up with.

Otter Christy said...

Just checking in to say hi. I think writing about MS for ladies is a really good idea. Great job powering through the workout even with the dizzies.

I am so with you on the eating when not hungry or past full. I'm axing that out of my life more and more these days. It's amazing how much I used to eat just mindlessly.

Joni said...

James,
Hi! Long time no see. Anyway, I have been thinking about adding in the other supplements, I just haven't gotten to the store to buy them yet. As for the protein, I know I am under for that, something I need to improve, but every 2 hrs would be way above my calorie needs for the day so I would have to adjust that. Things to think about for the next round...Thanks!
-JP

Joni said...

Adam, Suzette, Christy - Thanks for the votes of confidence regarding the MS for women idea. I am still trying to decide how I want to do it but I will be asking for some other opinions from other women before I get started, I think. So keep an eye out for that. Video might be cool, that is actually faster than typing things up sometimes I think, now that I know what format I need and all, it won't take nearly as long as the first one did. Will be continuing to reflect on this and you'll see something soon! Thanks for the support!
-JP

Joni said...

Christy - Oh yeah, check out my post today with more about the mental aspects of eating. I think that's what's really at the base of the obesity epedemic, that people don't realize it's mostly mental. I mean, until I started this, I didn't even really see that, even in my past successes. Maybe that's why I feel so "at peace" with the whole journey now. Also info that people out there need to know...Maybe somehow what we are doing can start to make others understand this...
-JP