Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day 158 - Yay workout

Man it was so good to be able to work out today! Plus I think it helped banish the last effects of this cold away as I don't feel it at all now! Still was low carb today so the energy was waning a little for the workout, but otherwise it was good. Upper body fat loss circuit so lower body circuit is tomorrow and then I get to pick up Suzette from the airport!!!!!! I am so excited!!!!!!
Still wish I had more shredding I could do before Monday but it's not enough time to get to where I really want to be before seeing the other shredders. Oh, well, I'm still a work in progress...don't have 500 days under my belt like Adam but still I wasn't working as hard as he was that's for sure. Need to get more focused on that in the months to come before summer is here!! Good news is that my husband and his brother are on board for the next round of shredding (here at home at least) so they will be my guinea pigs for being somewhat of a (rookie!) fat loss coach myself. We will all be going on the Precision Nutrition plan for the next mission. My husband did not do well on BFFM and I think it's because he needs a lot less carbs. However, he also doesn't like a 'low carb diet' per se because of the limited food choices and the lack of energy. So PN looks like hopefully a happy medium because they limit carbs and time them specifically, but do not cut them out radically and there is still a lot of food variety. I am also interested in it because it feels more lifestyle based and involves making the change to constant eating habits that will allow you to lose weight and then maintain it when you are ready without being on a 'diet'. I know that some cringe at the idea of counting portions and food types rather than calories but it isn't really one or the other, it is choosing foods that, based on the fact that they are whole foods and not manufactured, can only have so many calories and those are nutritious calories, not empty ones. And then balancing the different types of food so that in reality you are "watching" calories because you can only have so much of each thing. That's probably not a good explanation, but suffice it to say that at this stage of the game, my husband needs something that he can follow rules for, not have to specifically chart everything and count it, and I am close enough to my goal to have the luxury of seeing if it works and then changing it if I don't see results. In fact, the program expects you to track results very closely and then change things based on that. So we're giving it a try. Also, my brother-in-law needs to gain muscle (he's tall and thin) so it will be interesting to have someone who is a hard-gainer around. It will be a learning experience for me for sure and I find this kind of stuff very interesting. I was going to be a personal trainer at one time but never finished the school for it so this kind of feels like having some clients. The only think I don't like about PN specifically is that they do not include any workouts with it. Not that there's not tons to choose from all over the place, but it would have been interesting to see what they recommend to go with the eating side. As it is, on their forum they have some workouts, just not in the original book, so I'm going to be checking those out as well.
So, I gotta go, the dog's acting up. Talk to some of you here soon, and some of you I will see in a few days. WOO HOO!!

4 comments:

Bec said...

Hi Joni, best wishes for a great trip to the ECSS, have a ball.
Bec

Anonymous said...

Joni, get ready, cause here I come! lol. am so excited! I will be leaving for the airport in a few hours! See you later!!

Michael said...

Joni, workouts are workouts...just learning the principles and applying them is all that is necessary. As for your husband not doing well on BFFM, that confuses me because you say he doesn't like low carb, so what is he going to do? No matter how you slice it, there's going to be a macronutrient ratio involved in his eating. Even PN, if they tell you to eat this and that, in the end, it is still a ratio of the macronutrients -- carbs/protein/fat -- along with a number of calories. That's why BFFM is so great--it is customizeable to your situation. Don't like low carb? Adjust the ratios slowly until you hit where you need to be. I think your husband should have adjusted his ratios slowly until he started making some gains. How is his training? What about training conssistency? That matters alot!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.