Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day 136/137 - Behind!

So I am a day behind on posting this, but here it is anyway...
Yesterday was not good. It seemed like everything I did took longer than I thought it would and I had no time for the things I needed to get done! Nutrition was good, but I postponed my workout until the evening after I had skip it to get to work on time, then after running around all day I just didn't have the energy to do it after dinner. Actually, I am kind relieved, though, after I read Michael's comment about overtraining, because maybe I did need an extra rest day since I fit all of those criteria he gave me. As I told him, I have been doing upper body 2x a week with pushups 3x a week, and Jujitsu 2x a week, which has more pushups, so there is definitely a good chance that my upper body is getting into the overtraining mode. I have never had this before so it didn't even occur to me, and my lower body is fine, so I think I will do the lower body portion of yesterday's workout today, even though today is supposed to be a full rest day, and then continue my program from there. I have a couple of decisions to make about the next few days, so I'll have to work it out.
On another bad note, I am gaining weight!! I know that weighing every day is considered bad, but honestly it is usually motivating for me. A small fluctuation I don't worry about, but I have gained back all the weight I lost last week and it is really upsetting me because I have been on track with the low fat plan of MS and even under 1800 cal per day which is supposed to be my calorie deficit number. I am hoping it is related to my monthly cycle because if not I will be really devastated. I guess we'll see next week. If not, I may have to switch to a longer cycle of low carb and a shorter cycle of low fat because I definitely lose on low carb and I have pretty good energy with it so I don't know. One of the things I need to think about.
Also, today is supposed to be my reward meal, but 1) I don't feel like I deserve it because I am gaining weight and 2) I am supposed to go out to lunch with Jeff tomorrow, so I think I am going to skip it today and do it tomorrow. I don't know how that fits in with the rest of the MS plan, though, because tomorrow should be the start of the next low carb cycle. Should I just do low carb the rest of the day and allow the reward meal for lunch, not counting it? I think that kind of negates the whole day as far as low carb goes, since the day will be over. I have a hard time with that for every reward meal. I just can't wrap my head around how you can just not count a meal when you are going for particular numbers all day long. I mean, the reward meal is going to mess them up, so I guess keeping to them all day just lessens the impact? For carbs, it's like, no matter if I have 30 carbs all day or 30 carbs at one meal, it's still 30 for the day, so if I'm only supposed to have 30 all day and I have 60 or more because of my reward meal, then the day is shot, right? You certainly can't call that an on-plan day. I guess that's the point, to give your body a break, but since I am changing the day, should the rest of that day be a low calorie day or a low carb day? I guess I'll figure it out. These are all things I need to work on. Anyway, I am finally going to edit and post all my pics now so I'll be back later today to post more about all of these rambling ideas. See you then.


5 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

Hey Joni,

First of all your pictures still look great! Your waist looks tiny and ab lines are coming through.

Second, sounds like possibly overtraining. The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks back. I wasn't progressing in weight or reps and I was fatigued, so I took 3 days off - no weight, no cardio, no starvation. It helped a lot. I imagine Jujitsu must be a strenuous workout on top of lifting and cardio!

As far as gaining back weight this week, it is most likely your period and water retention. I don't think you could have put on 2lbs of fat in one week considering how well you are eating and training. It will be gone next week if not more.

If I were you I would skip the reward meal today, stick to one more day of MS low fat and then take the reward with your husband tomorrow and continue with MS plan.

Don't lose heart Joni! You look incredible and are working hard. I jumped on my bodyfat scale yesterday and got three different readings! 105.6 - I was thrilled! Then tried again and got 110! Then I got 108lbs for the next 2 tries. Stupid scale!

Bec said...

Your pics don't show any gain, don't lose heart over the scale. It could just be water retention. Don't let the scale upset your momentom.
Bec

Jeremy said...

Hi Joni,

Thank you for your sweet comment the other day. Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been extremely busy with work etc.

You look like your making amazing progress! Keep up the good work. In 30 days you'll be more than ready for ECSS!

Best,

--Jay

Michael said...

Joni,

There was a post on Tom's Burn the Fat Inner Circle from a woman trainer. She commented on how hard it is psychologically for a woman going through a fat loss program. Her comment was basically that you get all excited because you make 3 weeks of progress and then, suddenly, it appears as though you gain everything back on the fourth week. Her advice is to relax and not worry about it because on the fifth week everything gets back to normal. I think she's right and I think it applies in your case.

I have to agree with Lilla that it definitely sounds like overtraining. Do you remember that Mike Groom dropped out of the push up challenge because he felt he was overtraining his chest? That's what can happen when you are doing pushups every other day, doing jujitsu, cardio, weights, etc. Your body does not grow/change in the gym, it does that while resting. You need to let your body recover. How long has it been since you took time off of training?

Michael said...

OH!!! ...forgot one thing...

...THROW AWAY THE SCALE! IT ISN'T A TRUE MEASURE OF PROGRESS WHEN YOU'RE TRAINING LIKE THIS!!!