Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Day 226 - What a day

Well today I certainly had God looking over me. I have a meeting on Tuesday mornings at 9:30am so I left for that and decided to stop at Dunkin Donuts to get some donuts for the ladies in my class with me. Obviously something I wouldn't normally do, but for some reason I just got it in my head to go there. I guess I was craving an iced coffee, but I could get that at a lot of other places around here, and to get to the Dunkin Donuts I actually had to take a different route to my meeting, but still I went. So as I was getting out of my car to go in, I noticed that one of my front tires was flat. I had not noticed while driving, but the tires on my car are low profile so they you can almost drive on them flat and not notice. Now I have had to put air in this tire before so I just thought "slow leak" and went ahead into the store, got my stuff, and left to put air in. I called one of the ladies at my meeting and told them I would be late, but to expect me shortly. The tire seemed to hold air fine so I started to head toward my meeting as usual. Before I could get far, though, the woman I had called to tell I was late called me back to say that there were only two others there and we just figured we'd cancel for today since everyone else was busy. So I turned around to go home, but decided that since I had the extra time, I would stop by the dealer and see if they could find a nail or something in my tire and plug it so I wouldn't have to put air in it any more. Well, I get in there and after they pulled the wheel off my car, the service guy calls me back and says "you have to look at this". I was saying "oh, it's like going to the principle's office or something, going into the back" and then he shows me the tire. On the inside, where no one could see it, that tire was absolutely shredded almost all the way around. You could see metal, not just a little metal, like a quarter inch of steel sticking out of the edge. Apparently, the alignment of my front wheels had been off and they were both tilted toward the inside of my car, so I didn't feel it pulling to one side or the other. My mechanic said it was a bomb waiting to go off. He actually couldn't even believe I had made it this far and thought that it would have had a blowout any time. And I am on the interstate all the time, 70 mph, and I don't need to tell you what a blowout at 70 can do. If I would not have stopped for coffee, I would have been on that highway going 70 this morning.
I'm sure some people will just see this whole experience as "luck" or "coincidence" but I know that God was watching out for me. There was a time in my life when I thought a comment like that was absolutely ridiculous - "God doesn't have time to worry about such trivial things", I would say. But I believe now that God is most often visible in the little things, the everyday occurrences that, if you aren't paying attention, you might miss. Those are the things that make up most of our lives, not the big, obvious, life changing moments. How many of those do you have in a lifetime? God doesn't wait for something rare like that to show us that Hhe loves us. He shows us each and every day, moment to moment, if we are just open enough to see it. And He takes care of all of us, even if we don't believe in him or give him credit, He believes in us. But all of our lives would be much better if we did notice and did give Him the glory for all of the things that He helps us through, because then others might understand how great life with Him really is. And we would have much more company in Heaven.
Have a wonderful day.

5 comments:

Adam Waters said...

Hi Joni, I dont believe that was "luck" or "coincidence" at all. Have a great day today.

Rob said...

Great post Joni,

I am glad that there are those who are open enough to see Gods hand in the little things as well the big. It takes a humble person to give Him the glory as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you girl...God does wondrous things...especially if we let him! Sometimes he is "yelling" for our attention with the little things he does for us! He's just a father looking out for his kids.

Anonymous said...

Miracles show up in ways we can't even imagine.
I agree with all the other comments!
So glad you were safe! Thank the Lord!
Hope you have a great week! Relax and enjoy your family!

Buffedstuff said...

I call those moments hugs from G-d.
celebrate the blessing, I am happy
you are safe and sound.