Monday, January 14, 2008

Day 92 - The home stretch

Here's the good news:
Weight: 153 lbs (loss of 2# this week, loss of 3# in M2, 13# overall)
Omron bf: 25% (loss of 1% this week) - just started using this last week
MS bf: 18.3% (loss of 1.4% in M2, 4.8% overall)

Bicep: 11.25" (loss of 0" this week, .5" in M2, 1.5" overall)
Chest: 35.25" (loss of 0" this week, .25" in M2, 1.25" overall)
Waist: 28.25" (loss of 0" this week, .75" in M2, 2.75" overall)
Stomach: 31.25" (loss of .25" this week, 1.25" in M2, 3.25" overall)
Hips: 38" (loss of 0" this week, 1" in M2, 3" overall)
Butt: 41" (loss of .25" this week, .75" in M2, 2.5" overall)
Thigh: 25" (loss of 0" this week, .5" in M2, 3" overall)
Total inches: loss of .5" this week, 5" in M2, 17.25" overall

I am happy with this because I am still losing, however it has slowed down significantly from the beginning of this journey. That's to be expected, I am just impatient :) I've only lost 3 lbs this mission so far, but I have definitely been less disciplined than I was and this mission was also over the holidays. So I'm not going to dwell on it, it is funny, though, how one week I won't lose inches in an area and then the next week I will in that area but not in the one I lost in the prior week. Does that make any sense? Basically, it seems like a 2 week schedule that my body gets around to losing at least a quarter inch on all of the areas I measure. I guess if I had more sensitive measuring devices, it may not seem that way, but for now this is working and I just have to pay attention to trends, not single numbers on particular days. That's why I am using the MS bf calculator just to see the trend since the beginning of the mission since I didn't have the Omron then, but I'm using the Omron to check my change from one week to the next, since it is more sensitive. So it says I lost 1% bf this week, which means all 2 lbs were fat and I actually gained a tiny bit (.05#) of muscle. That is so cool. I like seeing that I am doing the right things and not losing lean mass.
Of course, the MS calculator says that since the beginning I have lost 2.5# of lean so I don't know if I should be concerned about that or not. I know I want to keep that number as small as possible, but what's the tolerance here when you are losing? Anybody know?
Anyway, enough of that boring talk...have to get on to my workout and pushup challenge! More later....
*************
Okay got really pressed for time so only did the pushups for now, hoping to fit in the rest of my workout later on today. I have a video but don't have time to edit it right now (same with my pics - that's why yesterday's aren't up, had some technical difficulties yesterday and haven't worked them out yet) Anyway, I did 33 pushups, an improvement of 6 over last week! Wow! I think that is amazing to have that much of a jump after only one week. I know I couldn't have pushed out another one past 27 last week because I was really trying for 30 and could not get there. Then this week I did 33 and might have still had a few in me, but I didn't want to go too bad on form and I still had the regular weekly series of 5 sets to do and I did them all as well. I did rest a little longer than the 1 min suggested, but at any rate it is still cool! 70 by ECSS here I come!
TTFN!


8 comments:

Raiden said...

I think in BFFM it says that when in caloric deficit, it's normal to experience between 2-4% (of your starting bodyweight) loss of lean mass, but this is almost all water weight, so you shouldn't be concerned. NOrmally though, this is usually lost in the first few weeks of dieting and after that the lean mass should more or less stabilize. If you continue to see losses you might have to change things up, but since you gained muscle this week, that's a good sign that your program isn't burning muscle.

Rob said...

Joni,

Hello, I just found your blog and noticed that you are in Maryland also. My wife and I live in Wheaton or silver springs… just wondering how close we were to each other.
I started my own blog the other day and I’m having a blast. Jennifer, my wife and I are doing the “bodyforlife” challenge. You are doing an awesome job…keep up the great work and keep in touch.

Debbie said...

Joni, big kudos to you for losing 17 inches! Aren't you glad you took your measurements!!

What is the Omron way to calculate bodyfat?

Debbie

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

it is so cool watching everyone's progress with the pushups. I, too, added six my first week. this week I added seven! This is an amazing program(100pushups training). I never tought I would even be able to do as many as I have. when i first made my goal of 40 by march 21, I was doubtful that I could actually get there. NOw am quite confident!

Adam Waters said...

Great work Joni, I think Raiden summed it up very well. Also, awesome work on your pushups, there are gonna be some amazing numbers posted by ECSS!

Otter Christy said...

Very cool progress on your stats and those pushups.

Joni said...

Raiden - thanks for the reminder, I didn't know it was in BFFM but I think I'm good too because that was all in the beginning and has been much less since.

Rob - HI! I live in Elkton, so I'm much further north than you, probably about 1-1/2 hrs, but it's cool to have another Marylander!! Good luck to you and you wife!

Debbie - Thanks, Omron is a brand name of a biometric impedence fat analyser (hand-held).

Suzette - Yeah, the pushups are exciting. I have been doing them for years but never this consistently and checking on my progress and whatnot and it is so cool to see the improvement. Should have started this years ago... :)

Adam & Christy - thanks! Talk to you guys soon!